Our team is growing and are looking for passionate and motivated people to join our awesome team! We encourage anyone located in Australia to invest some of their time to explore our new opportunities. Your location is not an issue to us.
Our mission is to seek out areas of social need and policy failure and make transformational change using design and technology. We believe that government, organisations and businesses can be forces for good. But there’s a gap in their understanding of, and ability to meet, the expectations of those in need of positive change. Our job is to use design and technology to narrow the gap between those with the power and responsibility to make a positive change, and those who need it.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Able to work collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams of designers, developers and producers
- Seeking opportunities to learn, and helps others by providing feedback
- Comfortable with working with a range of tech stacks, and willing to learn what's needed
- Able to communicate clearly to a broad range of stakeholders, both in person and in writing
As an agency we have a wide range of projects running in different technical stacks. For this role, we're looking for senior web developers who have had 3+ years experience with PHP based frameworks and who have worked on a number of different applications during their career. You probably have also had some additional experience with frontend frameworks such as React or VueJS for implementing highly interactive features as part of your full stack applications.
An example of what a week at Portable as a Senior BAU Developer might look like:
- Spending some time writing and refactoring code. For example
- Automating the performance reporting for our software that supports the aged care sector
- Finding the issue that is causing slow authentication requests to our legal service portal
- Applying the security patches to our government CMS software
- Dockerising the dev environment for our vehicle monitoring system
- Writing and maintaining some automated tests for the timetabling system we developed for a public transport client
- Reviewing a few pull requests to help individuals and the team grow with their ability to commit good code to projects
- Pairing and mentoring on a feature with a mid-level or junior developer to provide directed advice and guidance that will help them grow professionally as a developer
- Helping lead our PTX (Portable Technology Experience) meetings where we discuss, have workshops and generally look at how we go about development at Portable as a team
The salary range for this role is between $100,000 - $125,000, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team - people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
To be considered, please send us your resume and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Tell us about something that you’ve been learning recently. What is it, how are you learning it and what made you decide to learn this thing?
- What’s a challenging technical problem you or your team have solved? What made it challenging, how did you solve it and what part did you play?
- Tell us about a great working relationship you’ve had with someone. How did you work together? What’s something you learned from that experience?