Here at Portable...
We are a design and technology company that cares about people and the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and make transformational change using design and technology. Our clients and partners are as passionate as we are and are working in government agencies and nonprofit organisations. Our job is to help them define, design and deliver new products, services and ways of working.
There are currently 60+ of us working as researchers, strategists, designers, developers, producers and visionaries towards our mission from our office in Collingwood and working remotely from home.
We’re looking for an experienced leader to lead a team of producers in delivering technical, design and research projects, as well as support the strategy and management of internal and client digital products and contribute to ongoing enhancements of our Production discipline.
What we’re looking for…
An experienced leader to support the execution of large projects across digital and design. Working with the Head of Production and two other Lead Producers, this role will guide and support digital producers in the delivery of high quality outcomes to time and budget, using best practice methods. It will also actively drive the development of the Production discipline and the skills of the producers within it.
Importantly, we’re looking for an experienced leader with a positive, collaborative and forward-thinking approach. The role will lead up to five senior and mid-level producers, and will drive their professional growth and delivery of quality outcomes in alignment with the vision for the Production team and the wider company’s strategic priorities.
And then there’s you…
You’re an authority in digital product and project delivery and are eager to use your experience to support a talented team and a business in delivering high-quality, impact-driven digital and design projects. You know digital delivery inside and out, and are equally comfortable overseeing from a distance or diving into the detail of projects.
Whether you’re from ‘agency side’ or ‘client side’, fast-moving and dynamic environments are your thing, and you love contributing to ongoing improvements and sharing knowledge with your direct team and the broader business. You can balance the strategic and the operational, and represent the needs of your team and discipline as well as the wider organisation.
Most importantly, you’re an experienced leader who cares deeply about the engagement, performance and growth of your teams, and others around you.
Key outcomes of your role:
As a Lead Digital Producer, you will be expected to deliver the following outcomes:
- You and the people you lead are delivering high quality work on time and on budget
- Quality contribution to the development of the organisational and discipline’s strategy, and ownership of the execution of an agreed number of initiatives
- You and the people you lead are engaged, growing and performing
- You and the people you lead have the capability and tools to deliver on their projects
- The practice in your discipline is regularly improved through the contribution of new or improved tools, processes, methodologies and approaches
- You and the people you lead are engaged in and contributing to Portable as a business
If you were here last week, you would have:
- Met with our Business Development team on an upcoming mental health project so you could support with early client engagement and prepare to brief in one of your producers to manage the project
- Collaborated with the two other Lead Producers refining and defining how Portable delivers agile projects and ran a session with the wider Production team to share the approach
- Reviewed and given feedback on a Statement of Work for one of your team members, identifying key risks, dependencies and opportunities and mapping out the timeline and deliverables for the client
- Helped guide one of your team members through a challenge they were facing in your weekly one-on-one, whilst sharing constructive feedback to help them grow
- Attended the weekly resourcing meeting to contribute to the allocation of projects between disciplines and skill sets
- Attended our fortnightly leadership meeting and shared your health of your projects and team
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- Demonstrated people leadership experience in a company of similar or larger size
- Extensive experience in digital delivery, including a broad knowledge of waterfall and agile methodologies and project management tools and approaches
- Large scale project delivery experience of projects $500K - $1M range
- Product management experience (desirable)
The salary range for this role is between $120,000 - $140,000 plus super, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team and people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
To be considered, please send us your resume and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Tell us about a leadership problem that you’ve had to work through and overcome
- Tell us about a large internal change project you’ve run. How did it go? What were some of the challenges?
- Tell us about the most difficult client or stakeholder problem you’ve solved. What happened, and what did you do about it? What made it so hard?