Portable is growing and we are looking for passionate and motivated people to join our awesome team! We know that there is brilliant talent across Australia and we encourage anyone located in Australia to invest some time to explore our new opportunities, your location is not an issue to us.
Here at Portable...
...we care about people and the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and make transformational change using research, design and technology. Our clients are as passionate as we are and are working in government agencies, nonprofit organisations and socially-minded businesses.
There are currently 60+ of us working as researchers, strategists, designers, technologists and producers towards our mission from our studio in Collingwood and working remotely from home. Our Experience Design team works to translate people's needs into meaningful and useable products and services through ideation, testing and implementation, as well as creating impactful visual communications and brand identities.
Then there's you...
...a Senior Experience Designer who wants to use their skills to solve real problems for real people. As a Senior at Portable, your job is to deliver great work for our clients and users, and to support the team and business in improving our practice and approach.
You have deep and broad experience in the practice of user experience and interface design. You use best practice methodologies to achieve impactful outcomes across UX/UI design, interaction design, visual communication and branding as well as prototyping and testing of digital products and services. You also work with Leads in the team to ensure that the design practice is regularly improved through the contribution of new tools, processes, methodologies and approaches.
As a Senior, you consistently self-identify problems and seek advice, input and collaboration to solve them. Together with Leads, Seniors are also able to solve hard problems and work to reduce the likelihood of them occurring again. Seniors are able to consistently provide helpful advice to other designers in the team, and actively look to support them in their development and project delivery. You're proactive and effective in managing your time and priorities.
You're human-centred not only in your approach to design, but in your ability to collaborate with empathy with people and clients at all levels of experience. You lead by example for others and your excellent communication, relationship development and stakeholder management skills means you can effectively manage client relationships. You demonstrate courage in backing yourself and drive robust conversations that ultimately lead towards better outcomes for our clients, teams and the people we are designing for.
You'll be expected to have knowledge and experience in these areas:
- High level of technical knowledge and experience in user experience design methodologies and their application to digital design and product outcomes
- Technical ability to design low-to-high-fidelity user interfaces (using Figma or a similar tool) and collaborate closely with developers throughout implementation
- Familiarity with the human-centred design process, and how cross-disciplinary teams can take problems from discovery and problem definition through to prototyping, testing, iteration and implementation
- An ability to clarify and bring definition to relatively complex and ambiguous briefs
- Experience testing prototypes and built experiences with users
- Familiarity with UX artefacts (such as journey maps and user flows) and processes (such as user interviews and workshops)
- Experience creating and managing design systems
- Understanding of inclusive design and best practice accessibility
- Experience with visual communication and brand identity design
As a Senior, you’ll be expected to deliver the following outcomes:
- Consistent, independent, on budget and timely delivery of design work that meets the needs of clients and users
- Risks and issues are identified early and solved in collaboration with your team
- Strong client relationships are built and maintained to ensure confidence our design approach
- Other designers are supported in managing and delivering their work (especially mids and juniors)
- Knowledge has been shared and applied in order to improve the Experience Design discipline, and to help others learn and develop (especially mids and juniors)
- Significant contribution to Portable as a business has been made, including supporting our Business Development team to propose and pitch for mission-aligned work
If you were here last week, you may have:
- Designed a prototype for a new mental health support platform we are designing proactively as part of our R&D impact work
- Coached a junior member of the team to grow their capability presenting design work to clients
- Worked with a Lead to negotiate with the client on the scope and timeframes for a project to help separating couples resolve their property disputes amicably
- Attended co-design workshops with a diverse group of young people to reimagine the digital experience of seeking support from a large mental health organisation
- Put together brand identity guidelines for an innovative, independent school
- Shared something weird and wonderful that you're strangely passionate about at our weekly Design Safari, where anyone can share the things from outside our work that inspire them
- Contributed your expertise to improving the way our team of Experience Designers conduct best-practice research into accessible interface design
- Taken a moment on a Friday afternoon to join the team for some Pictionary or trivia to see out the week
Some of the benefits of working with us:
We care about the experience and wellbeing of our team. Here are some of the benefits our team enjoys:
- We support a flexible working environment whether its from home or the office or a cafe
- We're a family-friendly company who offer parental leave and part-time arrangements to allow for things like pick-ups and drop-offs or sick children
- A feedback-friendly culture, where we make space for open and respectful sharing of feedback that helps us grow
- We support our team taking mental health days as personal leave that they don’t need to explain or have a medical certificate for
- Employee Assistance Program with The Mindroom for general wellbeing check-ins, assistance with career planning, or working through difficult or challenging circumstances
- Twice-yearly salary reviews with no minimum service period
- Our team can grow their career with our structured career pathways, generous professional development allowance and hands-on learning opportunities
- Ongoing leadership coaching and development for leaders in the business
- Indigenous cultural awareness training for our entire team
- We work on meaningful projects that seek to have a positive impact in the world
- Referral programs in place that can earn team members $1500 per successful referral
The salary band for this role is between $92,000 - $145,000 per annum (plus superannuation), depending on your level of experience. Our salary bands are reviewed twice a year and externally verified to ensure we remain competitive with market rates.
How to apply:
We are committed to building a diverse and equal team. People from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
To be considered, please send us your resume, folio of 1-2 of your favourite projects and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What has attracted you to this role and why would you be a good fit?
- Tell us about a time you were able to balance designing for the needs of users with the needs of a client or business. How did you do this and what did you learn?