Here at Portable...
...we care about people and the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and make transformational change using research, design and technology. Our clients are as passionate as we are and are working in government agencies, nonprofit organisations and socially-minded businesses.
There are currently 60+ of us working as researchers, strategists, designers, technologists and producers towards our mission from our studio in Collingwood and working remotely from home. Our Experience Design team works to translate people's needs into meaningful and useable products and services through ideation, testing and implementation, as well as creating impactful visual communications and brand identities.
Then there's you...
...an Experience Designer who wants to use their skills to solve real problems for real people. As a Mid-level designer at Portable, your job is to deliver great work for our clients and users, and to use the experience and feedback of others in the team to take your design craft to the next level.
You have a solid and growing experience in the practice of user experience and interface design. You're familiar with methodologies across UX/UI design and visual communication as well as prototyping and testing of digital products and services. You're interested in growing and refining your skills as a designer by working alongside like-minded and talented people who want to use their talents to make a postive difference.
You use your skills to create a range of visual designs, from low-fidelity wireframes, to mid-fidelity prototypes and high-fidelity interfaces, ready for implementation. You collaborate with Design Strategists to research, conceptualise, prototype and effectively communicate these internal and external stakeholders.
You're human-centred not only in your approach to design, but in your ability to collaborate with empathy with people and clients. You give and receive feedback generously and openly, and work to create strong, collaborative relationships with our cross-disciplinary team.
You are proactive in identifying any gaps in your own capability, as well as a willingness to learn.
You'll be expected to have knowledge and experience in these areas:
- Growing level of technical knowledge and experience in user experience design methodologies and their application to digital design and product outcomes
- Technical ability to design low-to-high-fidelity user interfaces (using Figma or a similar tool) and collaborate closely with developers throughout implementation
- An interest and familiarity with the human-centred design process, and how cross-disciplinary teams can take problems from discovery and problem definition through to prototyping, testing, iteration and implementation
- An ability to clarify and interpret a brief and ask the right questions to get what you need to start designing
- A testing, iterative mindset, that is comfortable testing your work with users, clients and other designers
- An interest and familiary with inclusive design and best practice accessibility
As a Mid-level designer, you’ll be expected to deliver the following outcomes:
- On time and in-scope delivery of quality design work, with support from Seniors and Leads when needed
- Proactive identification of gaps in your own knowledge and capability, and proactively seeking out learning and development from others
- Valuable contribution to 'rituals' such as kick-off meetings, presentations, critique sessions and project retrospectives
- A positive contribution to improvements to our practice, as guided by Leads and Seniors
- A contribution to to Portable as a business, including marketing activities and supporting proposals for new projects
If you were here last week, you may have:
- Designed a prototype for a new mental health support platform we are designing proactively as part of our R&D impact work
- Received coaching from a senior member of the team to grow your capability presenting design work to clients
- Collaborated on a solution with your Producer and Lead about a project constraint (like a tight timeline) after raising your concern with them early on in the project
- Attended co-design workshops with a diverse group of young people to reimagine the digital experience of seeking support from a large mental health organisation
- Designed logo and visual identity concepts for a digital platform that helps dying people and the people who care for them find holistic support and resources
- Shared something weird and wonderful that you're strangely passionate about at our weekly Design Safari, where anyone can share the things from outside our work that inspire them
- Attended a training session on using our Portable UI Kit to create new design systems for projects
- Taken a moment on a Friday afternoon to join the team for some Pictionary or trivia to see out the week
Some of the benefits of working with us:
We care about the experience and wellbeing of our team. Here are some of the benefits our team enjoys:
- We support a flexible working environment whether its from home or the office or a cafe
- We're a family-friendly company who offer parental leave and part-time arrangements to allow for things like pick-ups and drop-offs or sick children
- A feedback-friendly culture, where we make space for open and respectful sharing of feedback that helps us grow
- We support our team taking mental health days as personal leave that they don’t need to explain or have a medical certificate for
- Employee Assistance Program with The Mindroom for general wellbeing check-ins, assistance with career planning, or working through difficult or challenging circumstances
- Twice-yearly salary reviews with no minimum service period
- Our team can grow their career with our structured career pathways, generous professional development allowance and hands-on learning opportunities
- Ongoing leadership coaching and development for leaders in the business
- Indigenous cultural awareness training for our entire team
- We work on meaningful projects that seek to have a positive impact in the world
- Referral programs in place that can earn team members $1500 per successful referral
The salary band for this role is between $70,000 - $88,000 per annum (plus superannuation), depending on your level of experience. Our salary bands are reviewed twice a year and externally verified to ensure we remain competitive with market rates.
How to apply:
We are committed to building a diverse and equal team. People from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
To be considered, please send us your resume, folio of 1-2 of your favourite projects and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- What has attracted you to this role and why would you be a good fit?
- Tell us about a time you when you recognised the power and possibility of good design on a project you worked on. What did you learn and how did it influence your work?