Here at Portable...
We are a design and technology company that cares about people and the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and make transformational change using design and technology. Our clients and partners are as passionate as we are and are working in government agencies and nonprofit organisations. Our job is to help them define, design and deliver new products, services and ways of working.
There are currently 50+ of us working as researchers, strategists, designers, developers, producers and visionaries towards our mission from our office in Collingwood and working remotely from home.
We’re looking for an experienced Digital Producer to support our Production team with the delivery of design, research and technical projects for a range of clients. As the main point of contact for a project, you lead the day-to-day tasks around schedules, budgets, assets and internal and external team expectations.
Then there's you...
Organising and structuring projects is your thing. You love nothing more than to get all the ducks in a row and to help everyone see how things could play out. You can make a plan and stick to it, but you also understand plans sometimes need to change and know when to get support from seniors and leads, to manage and guide teams through complex projects. You are a keen collaborator but take accountability of your outcomes, and do what it takes to meet the highest quality standards – both the client’s and your own. With one eye on quality and timelines, the other is on the bottom line and you’re able to deliver on budget every time.
You’re a people person too. You like to bring everyone along and include them in the plan. You have an understanding of what other people need, and you’re motivated to help find solutions. You’re pragmatic enough to know that nobody gets everything they want all the time — you’re able to compromise and find the best solution (even when it’s not perfect).
You could be one if...
You’ve worked in a similar role, in a similar sized agency (we are 50+ staff). You have an understanding of the language and culture of design and technical delivery and the processes and tools involved. You have experience running small to large projects ($50k - $250k) and are proficient at communicating and fostering client and stakeholder relationships.
If you were here this week, you would have:
- Attended a handover of a new project from Business Development, and contributed to the initial project planning discussion with the team to develop a rough timeline and validate the budget
- Set up an internal meeting with your lead to problem solve a risk on your project and involve stakeholders in the decision
- Ran a client WIP to show the team’s progress and report on the latest findings from user research
- Drafted a Statement of Work for a new website development project while working with your team to identify risks, dependencies, opportunities, timelines & agreed deliverables for client signoff, and with your Senior Producer or Production Lead to QA
- Identified that your project budget was at risk and worked alongside your Production Lead to support your project team in a session to explore adapting the project approach to get the budget back on track
- Shifted the timeline based on a new request and worked with your team and client to define and set expectations on priority and deadlines
- Attended the weekly resourcing meeting contributing to ensuring your projects have the people they need to succeed
- Learned about a new tool we are implementing at our weekly production team meeting
In this role, you’ll work to deliver upon the following key outcomes:
- On time and in scope delivery of high quality work, with support from Seniors and Leads when needed
- Proactive identification of risks and personal knowledge gaps, and participation in solving the problems and developing capability
- Valuable contribution to project rituals (stand ups, retros)
- Positive contribution to discipline improvements, as guided by Leads and Seniors
- Contribution to tenders, marketing material and business operations (e.g. recruitment)
Qualities of an ideal candidate:
- A maturing knowledge of digital and agency project production, including a broad knowledge of agile and waterfall methodologies
- Experience working in a similar ‘agency side’ environment with a range of client types and project sizes
- A vision of the world that aligns with our own, with experience and evidence of this in action
The salary range for this role is between $70,000 - $95,000 per annum plus super, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team and people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
To be considered, please send us your resume and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- Tell us about 3 different rituals, processes or meetings that you’ve used in the past to help your project teams to deliver.
- Explain your understanding of agile methodology and waterfall methodology? Give an example of when you have used one of these methodologies.
- Thinking about one of the bigger projects you’ve managed. Can you tell us about the challenges and risks you faced and how you handled them?