People and Culture Advisor
Who are we and why work with us?
Here at Portable we care about the world. We seek out areas of social need and policy failure and use our expertise in research, design and technology to make a positive impact for our community. Our clients are as passionate as we are and work in government agencies and nonprofit organisations. Our job is to help them define, design and deliver new products, services and ways of working to improve life for all Australians.
Our People and Culture team are a vital part of the success of our business, as they are there to ensure that our team is supported in achieving their outcomes, that they get the growth and development they need to do that, and that their wellbeing and employee experience is top notch. If you love doing this kind of work, why not do it to support people who are making a real difference in the world.
This might be the right role for you if...
You know, just like we do, that our people are the key to our success. You believe everyone should have an amazing experience at work, and know the ingredients to making that happen. You can play in both the strategic and the operational spaces, and you are comfortable working with ambiguity where you are constantly looking for great solutions to keep improving the business.
You are an experienced people and culture professional, and have demonstrated a strong ability to build a quality HR practice. You know how to write a good human centred policy, have created great processes to support the people in your business, and want an opportunity to execute that in a dynamic and growing organisation. You understand the fundamentals of performance development, and are ready to be the steward of that practice in the business, and to contribute to increasing Portable’s diversity and inclusion.
If you were here last week, you would have:
- Worked within the P&C team and our leaders to execute our strategic goals which are centred around creating a healthy and vibrant workplace
- Worked with the leadership team to write a great new policy on remote and hyrbid working now that we live in this weird COVID world
- Coordinated one of our designers bi-annual performance reviews and supported their leader in executing a great feedback session
- Progressed our work on creating an internship program for a First Nations student, and worked with a group of passionate staff to start planning how we will create a Reconciliation Action Plan.
- Supported the Senior Leadership Team in executing our bi-annual salary review process across the whole company, including completing analysis to ensure gender pay parity
- Taken a moment to hang out with Bronson, one of our favourite office dogs
- Attended a Friday night social event or headed out for lunch at one of the many restaurants and cafes in Collingwood with your amazing colleagues
To be successful in this role, you will help us to achieve:
- An even better employee experience for our people including onboarding and ongoing performance development (including our performance reviews)
- Execution of our annual engagement survey including action planning
- Oversight of our bi-annual salary review process
- Execution of our Diversity and Inclusion strategy including oversight of our First Nations internship program, as well as guidance of a newly created Reconciliation Action Plan
- Development of new policies and processes where required
- Management of our bi-weekly payroll
To achieve all this, it will probably be helpful if you have:
- Significant HR or P&C experience as a true generalist at some point in your career
- A really strong interest in contributing to the development of P&C function
- Enough seniority to be able to hold your own in conversations with the Senior Leadership Team, and provide them sound advice on people related issues
- If you have worked in our world before, that’s great! But this isn’t a show stopper. It is more important that you have experience in the areas you need to deliver on
One last thing!
This role will initially be a 12 month role to cover parental leave for our Head of People and Culture. You won’t have responsibility for achieving all of their outcomes, but you will be expected to hold the fort and keep things moving along. Our current plan is to keep growing over the next 12 months so that this position will become permanent, and will remain part of the P&C team once the Head of returns from parental leave. We can’t make promises around this but it is what we are aiming for.
The salary range for this role is between $100,000 - $120,000 + super, depending on your level of experience. We are committed to building a diverse and equal team - people from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. Flexible working options are available for this role including part time options.
How to apply
If this is ticking your boxes, please apply by clicking the link below and providing your resume and your cover letter. We are keen to hear why this is the right role for you, what you can bring and also to understand relevant experience which will set you up for success.