We are looking for an experienced Design Strategist to join our Melbourne-based design team.
At Portable, we work on products that are reimagining the way in which people experience government, business and the internet in general.
We’re looking for a Design Strategist who can jump straight into projects. The right candidate will work side by side our senior team to deliver projects for clients as varied as the Dept. of Justice, Monash University, Fair Work Australia and a new breed of internet start-ups, as well as lead the growth of several internal products.
You’ll tackle complex systems, and use your knowledge, experience and tools to develop intuitive, accessible and easy-to-use stories and prototypes that interface the web and physical world.
Ideally you’ll be well versed in the principles behind Design Thinking and Human Centred Design and use these skills to lead workshops, develop user stories, conduct user research and oversee the design of customer experiences. You’ll also share the some of the same values as our team: Portable was recently awarded B Corp status and works with organisations and individuals looking to make a positive impact in the world.
- Lead and champion design within the organisation
- Interface with clients, key stakeholders and end users to host a range of design led workshops, strategy sessions
- Conduct research, chart user stories, conceptualize design outputs, create prototypes and effectively communicate these internal and external stakeholders
- Develop high level documentation to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- A confident communicator: you enjoy working with clients and with teams of people to generate and communicate ideas
- Analytical and Strategic
- Design oriented: you understand the fundamentals of design and aesthetics
- BA/BS degree in Design or complementary qualification (e.g. interaction, graphic, web, visual communications, product, industrial)
- 5+ years experience in key responsibility areas
- Ideally you have some deep experience outside of design in industries such as government, education, health or law.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply, please submit your resume, a link to your portfolio and a covering letter addressing the following three points:
- Tell us a story about yourself.
- Tell us about a really challenging problem you’ve solved, and how you went about it.
- Tell us what user experience means to you.