We are looking for an experienced Developer to join our Melbourne-based team.
At Portable, we work on products that are reimagining the way in which people experience government, business and the internet in general.
We’re looking for a senior developer, what we like to call Creative Technologists, to join our team in Collingwood.
We look for developers with broad skill sets who like to get onto a project at conception and see it through from design all the way to being shipped. While our go-to language is PHP, we work across a broad range of technologies, so if you have core competencies in either Java (Tomcat, Spring Boot), Python or Front End (Angular), we recommend reaching out to us. Even if you may find yourself experienced in one of these core areas, you should be excited about the new technologies that are constantly being thrown around the company.
You’ll be somebody with all round technical ability who enjoys working on complex problems that make a real impact on citizens lives.
Ideally, you are working in a senior position or as a lead, feeling as though you want to get exposure to more technologies, want to see your work in the hands of users and work in a relaxed environment: no weekend, no midnight deploys.
The creative technologist role is often paired with a UX and UI designer to create fully interactive prototypes before we even think about dev-ops.
As a company we are building groundbreaking technology that is having an enormous impact on the justice, education and health. We are starting to grow quite rapidly so this is a chance to lead and shape technology at a great company.
- Make our work better by leveraging the power of technology and development
- Oversight of creative technology staff
- Work closely with designers, design strategists, creative directors and the broader design team to guide the interactive execution of projects from an interaction design, IA/UX, usability and development perspective
- Work closely with the dev team to optimize our infrastructure and processes
- Participate in client meetings where technology/development is discussed
- Present to both internal and external audiences to help educate, inspire and provide thought leadership on interactive technologies
- Strong and broad skills across the back-end (LAMP)
- Sysadmin type skills for backend devs: you’ll be able to set up an AWS server and configure and use things like Jenkins, Vagrant, etc.
- Experience with PHP and various frameworks and CMS (such as Symphony), or
- a very deep level of competency in a modern web language i.e. Ruby, Python, Java, with a willingness to get your hands dirty if needed on other projects
- Some front-end skills too, HTML5, CSS3, JS/jQuery
- A passion to keep learning and trying new technologies: we are always working towards an MVP
- Good verbal and written communication skills and people skills
- You’re a good people person around the office, with experience working with UX and UI designers
- Experience working with Agile methodologies
- BA/BS degree in a related discipline or complementary qualification (e.g. interaction, graphic, web, visual communications, product, industrial)
- 5+ years experience in key responsibility areas
How to apply
If you’d like to apply, please submit your resume, a link to your portfolio and a covering letter using this link.
Should you have additional questions regarding the role, please contact us via email email@example.com, with the subject ‘Creative Technologist position.’